WILLIAM LOWRY HOUSE
Nomination to The National Register of Historic Places
The William Lowry House is a one story brick hall and parlor farmhouse built around 1825 in a rural area. At the time the nomination was written the house had been abandoned for years, had been vandalized, and was nearly a ruin. Beyond census data, no other information was found about Lowry. Although the house had been abandoned for years, and was nearly a ruin at the time the nomination was written, its important architectural features were remarkably intact. The property's importance, therefore, was based on its architectural quality and unaltered condition.
1825 is an early date for settlement in this area, and for that time the Lowry house is unusual for the quality of its materials and detailing. The three room house is a very pure and fine example of the Federal style then current in the area. Features of the masonry include Flemish bond and gauged flat arches. The interior casework and trim is very finely wrought, with elegant proportions and is remarkably intact. There is a brick-floored summer kitchen in the basement, with intact bake oven.
The house has since been restored using Historic Preservation Tax Credits.