Central Indiana Light Company Building
Feasibility Study and Preliminary Design
The old Central Indiana Light Company building was built around 1910, and was originally the power plant that served Columbus. It functioned as a power plant into the 1920’s, with subsequent conversion to various industrial uses. Although significantly altered and neglected, it remained a sound shell of some architectural interest, and a good candidate for rehabilitation. It is located on a site of 2-1/3 acres adjacent to the White River and a primary entrance to the city.
Because of its prominent location, the property was acquired by a local corporation and donated to the city with the understanding that the property be made more attractive, either through renovation or demolition of the building.
Louis Joyner performed feasibility and planning studies for two non-profit agencies interested in developing the property. The studies were performed concurrently, with the intention that the information gained would enable each agency to determine if the property and building could satisfy their needs, and if the costs were within their means. The information was then to have been used by city officials in determining which agency could best make use of the structure and site.
Neither agency had done any planning for such a facility, so it was necessary to prepare, through interviews and research, a preliminary program to establish needs of the functions to be accommodated. Both agencies required substantially more area than the 8000 s.f. of the original power plant.
Based on the preliminary program, measured drawings of the building, and site information, designs were prepared that satisfied current planning and zoning requirements, and generally indicated how the program functions could be accommodated on site and in relation to the existing building. Estimates were prepared for both projects that included site development and furnishings allowances. The feasibility study determined that the building and the property could effectively serve either agency.
Subsequent to this project, Louis Joyner, Architect was engaged by a private developer to study the property and site for commercial development.